Tips for Online Course Organization Part 1

Tips for Online Course Organization


As an instructional designer with some privileges to enroll into and access my college's courses, I inadvertently receive course emails from frustrated students to their professors about what to do or where to find assignments. Even if an online course is complete with a highly organized syllabus, robust content, structured assignments, goals, and clear objectives, it can still be poorly received if the learner has difficulty navigating through it all. Outlined below are three basic organization tips for instructors to support students' access to content.

1. Limit the amount of content you present.

A regular college online course should ideally have all or most of the content ready before the first day of class. However, it can be a little overwhelming for an online student when all this is available to them at once. Chunk content into smaller units by creating sections, folders, and modules. If your learning management system or LMS allows, try setting visibility times so that students receive content items in intervals (weekly, bi-weekly). In the Blackboard LMS, you can even use adaptive release to set criteria that requires students to visit one item at a time in a specific order.

2. Make dates predictable.

When dates are patterned, students can better anticipate assignments to manage their time. You can do this by having all learning module starting dates and due dates ready in the syllabus. When selecting dates, be consistent by choosing just one or two days of the week and a specific time of day when a regular assignment begins and ends. Try communicating dates in multiple ways such as through the syllabus, email, announcements, and module introductions.

3. Have a starting place.

University courses tend to have inconsistent formats, so this can be disorienting for students taking online classes for the first time. Help orient student to the new environment by placing the syllabus in a visible and easily accessible area. Better yet, provide an introduction area with an obvious title such as "Start Here," "Module 1," or something similar. Take it a step further by providing orientation materials such as a video-recording of you discussing the syllabus or describing how one can navigate through the course.


These are just some basic tips for if you're thinking about how to organize your online course content. I presented on this topic at one of the University of Houston's Emerging Trends in Educational Technology seminars about online learning last spring. My partner, instructional designer Todd Juneau, had the tough task of speaking about the importance of learning objectives and I followed with the second part on content organization. To see examples of how these strategies are applied in actual courses, check out my slides below!

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever!Jupiter Island Tutoring Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the work you have put into your nice blog. Bethesda Tutoring We will bookmark to your blog because it is very informational. We love the site and will come back to see your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its wonderful blog really very nice site and blog facility.every title is very nice and very fatastic concept.Special needs Tutor Westport Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good information here. I really enjoy reading them every day. I've learned a lot from them.Special needs Tutor Westport Thanks so much for sharing this information. Greatly help me being a newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Special needs Tutor Wellesley Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. Special needs Tutor Wellesley It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mind blowing article is provided here. Special needs tutor Far Hills And it is written with great skill and the words directly explain the thought of author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good information here. I really enjoy reading them every day. I've learned a lot from them.Special needs tutor Georgetown Thanks so much for sharing this information. Greatly help me being a newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found so many interesting thing in your blog and I really love that. Special needs tutor Tribeca Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not going to say that great work done but this is an awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles.special needs tutor Squirrel Hill North This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles on the same matter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very useful post, I was looking for this info.special needs tutor of Gladwyne thanks for sharing the great ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever!Academy in Miami, Fl Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Academy in Miami, Fl Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not going to say that great work done but this is an awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles.High School in Cutler Bay, Fl This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles on the same matter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Online calculators like sum of cubes calculator are available 24/7, allowing users to perform calculations at any time. This convenience is especially helpful for students completing homework assignments, professionals making on-the-fly calculations, or educators looking for quick demonstrations in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts